Pre-order of the Mn Cast! [obsolete available on Amazon]

@Raspiaudio
THX for those background info. Donā€™t know which fabric your partner is, but it seems they have some quality issues. Maybe Makerfabs (Open Hardware OEM is there main business) could be an alternative, or to make more pressure to your current partner. :wink:

Regarding the faulty display, I still have to think what could be the best solution,
so that the environment is not unnecessarily polluted because of such a small OLED display.
Maybe you can think of a solution on this for the environment as well.

But Iā€™ll send you an email about that when I have more time and after the white one has arrived and been briefly tested.

Cheers

cOOLio

I think the missing setting was i2c_config. The i2c bus can use different ESP32 pins. This tells the ESP32 which pins are to be connected to device SDA & SCL. I think the DAC and display share the bus on Mn Cast.

The i2c config settings usually change with different boards depending on how the board has been designed.

@bpa this dac does not need i2c, it is only using I2s

@cOOLio do you refer as ā€œquality issueā€ the shorter than expected screen connector it is not, just a specification of a component that differs from what you receive, it happens. This is why Iā€™m doing pre-serie. Thanks for your help.

No No, thatā€™s fine for me. I mean the faulty screen itself only. All the rest is fine for me.

you are both right @pba @Raspiaudio but IMHO you are talking on different things. :wink:

Yes, the DAC does not need any additional settings to get activated, send via I2C (dac_controlset).
And Yes, the OLED Display needs also the right I2C settings (i2c_config) to work.

Regarding IR anyone have a Logitech remote to see if you have any logs when pressing a button?

Using an a simple Arduino sketch I can receive any code from any remote, so I think the hardware is fine. But in Squeezelite (quoting Philippe git) ā€œonly a Logitech SB remote from Boom, Classic or Touch will work. I think the file Slim_Devices_Remote.ir in the ā€œserverā€ directoryā€

So on the server side maybe the key is to add new codes if you donā€™t have a Logitech remote.
I need to try.

Iā€™ve got an -quite- old squeezbox radio with its remote. Probably not the same sets of IR signal than Boom, Classic or Touch. Made some tests : no action on Mn Cast

Regarding IR, Iā€™ve made some test it seems that by default the Squeezelite software is activating an internal pull down on the Gpio 12, so the IR signal coming to the ESP32 is attenuated. Compared to a test arduino sketch Iā€™m using for infra red that is at the right level and decodes it right.

tried in the editor to activate the intenal pull up but still no change on the gpio :

is it the correct syntax?

IIRC Radio remote uses the same protocol as old SB3 Boom etc remote.

Not sure where you the ā€œpullā€ syntax is documented - did you see this somewhere
The README says

<gpio>=Vcc|GND|amp[:1|0]|ir|jack[:0|1]|green[:0|1]|red[:0|1]|spkfault[:0|1]

And this is repeated for each <gpio> pin separated by a comma

The README also says
ā€œThe <ir> parameter set the GPIO associated to an IR receiver. No need to add pullup or capacitorā€

edit:
I see where you found the ā€œpullā€ - as it is used for buttons. Pull is not correct syntax in set_GPIO.

Iā€™ll upgrade to V2 builds to see if it makes a difference.

Her is a short update to my review, since I received now also the white player.

Here you can find the right NVS config for the Mn Cast.

For those who are playing with the IR, the set_GPIO: 12=ir:0 can there changed to 12=ir:1 for pull up/down. Whatever is really needed there (0 or 1), youā€™ll have to figure out for yourself, as I will never use IR on my own.

The Squeezlite team did something great :
https://sle118.github.io/squeezelite-esp32-installer/

This is a web installer that will be allways up to date! for the Mn Cast you can use the image I2S-4M version, then use the NVS file made by cOOlio

1 Like

A quick test of both 0 & 1 values and it seems to make no difference - still doesnā€™t work.

Update!

All Mn Cast Black Europe will be shipped tomorrow
All Mn Cast White/black UK shipped this thursday

After this everybody should be served and this will conclude our Pre-order! (if nothing get lost crossing the Channel)

And will it be available to buy online, it seems out of stock nowā€¦

Iā€™ve received the black Mn Cast black yesterday here in NL. What a cool device! Looks very neat.

Now Iā€™m experiencing an issue that only a single (L / R) channel is working. Iā€™m running the firmware that came with the device plus the addidtional the NVS changes from @cOOLio. (nvs_config_raspiaudio_ESP_Muse_Mn_Cast_hardware-only_V1.0) I already tried swapping the audio cable but that didnā€™t have any effect. Is there anything else I can try?

I sent you a private message

Arnauld, yes we are in the process of manufacturing some units for Amazon EU & UK

1 Like

Hi
Has anyone managed to get the graphic equaliser working on this.
Server is 8.3.0
Plugin is installed squeezeesp32 v0.353
Player firmware is v1 32.1180

Edit ignore post, just updated to 16bit firmware and equaliser is now there, thanks Coolio,I find it out from your blog.
Thanks

Regarding the IR I have found the issue, it is actually a design issue on me. On the version of the board you (my dear early backers) have the infrared receiver is on GPIO 12, but this could be in conflict the SPRAM used for example in Squeezelite. Indeed when I have designed the board I was testing the IR on a isolated sketch and it was working fine, this is why integration test is important :unamused:

So if you want to use this IR receiver (only a few seem to be interested) there is no other way to cut the current track for IR on gpio 12 on the right of the IR led, and solder the 1rst pin on the IR led on gpio 21, see the picture :

then use the following NVS configuration file

Then open the serial console and push on some button of a remote control you will see some codes for each button you press, copy those codes somwhere.

Then you need to go in your LMS server files to assign a code to one action. Find and edit the file Slime_Device_Remote.ir on windows it is located here : C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\IR

All future versions of the MN CAST will have this fixed. Contact me if you need support.