ULTRA++ installation guide (work in progess)

Installation:

I have not written the install script but it will be fully compatible with this project form WAVESHARE as it is based on the WOLFSON WM8960. The Raspiaudio implementation offers an additional external microphone input as well as stereo speakers onboard.
Credit to Waveshare and credit to Liam Girdwood from Wolfson (the codec maker)

Clone the driver and install it with commands copy and paste each line in a terminal window:

git clone https://github.com/waveshare/WM8960-Audio-HAT
cd WM8960-Audio-HAT
sudo ./install.sh
it could take a long time 5 minutes on a PI4, but 15mn or more on a Pi zero, so relax go get a drink then

sudo reboot

if you use raspbian desktop select the audio device from the top right menu by doing a right click:

then by clicking on Output device settings you will have access to the mixer:

it’s a bit confusing at first but feel free to use the premade settings at the end of this tutorial.

to test it use the following script the red LED will be on, push on the blue button on the ULTRA++, you should hear “front Left, front right” then the recording of it using the on board microphone:

sudo wget -O - test.raspiaudio.com | sudo bash

if it does not work redo the install one more time

If it does work, just go on youtube and play some music!
to record I recommand to install audacity:

sudo apt-get install audacity

then on your desktop you will find audacity under the Sound & Video section.

In Audacity click on the recor button and say something, it should be recording using the onboard microphones.

Export the audio file on your desktop, double click on it to listen to it.

Pinout:

GPIO PIN FUNCTION
GPIO2 PIN3 I2C SDA
GPIO3 PIN5 I2C SCL
GPIO25 PIN22 LED
  PIN17 3.3v
  PIN25 39 6 14 GND
GPIO19 PIN35 I2S LRCLK
  PIN2 4 5v
GPIO23 PIN16 I2S CLK
GPIO20 PIN38 I2S ADC
GPIO21 PIN40 I2S DAC
GPIO23 PIN16 BUTTON (this pin as an external pull up)

Device number
this will be usefull in the alsa mixer to understand what input is connected to which microphones
Onbard microphones:
Linput1
Rinput1

External microphone jack input:
Linput2
Rinput2

Line input
Linput3
Rinput3

External speakers/speaker output:
SPK_L
SPK_R

Scripts
You will notice that alsamixer have a LOT of settings with that dac so it could be confusing at first to do what you want. So I made a few basic scripts to select different devices, you could use it as a guide just run:
bash script

Activate input the external microphone jack + output onboard speakers and headphones
Activate input the onboard microphone + output onboard speakers and headphones
Activate inputjack line in + output onboard speakers and headphones