Muse Luxe esphome loud buzzing sound

Burst is heard as reported by others for example if the firmware is updated via esphome. However it repeatedly happens using Radio Browser integration on Home Assistant. At changing radio stations once a station does not play, then I hear the loud burst. It is a pity, since the device was supposed to complete the music box project for kids and be my internet radio once kids are not around. It has to be sent back to Amazon until a solid fix is implemented.
Muse Luxe, installed raspiaudio-muse-luxe.yaml by esphome.

I have tested it here and with the radio browser it seems that MP3 radios work fine and some others like “FIP” that streams in AAC make it crashe! is it the same for you?

C][api:138]: API Server:
[C][api:139]: Address: raspiaudio-muse-luxe.local:6053
[C][api:143]: Using noise encryption: NO
[C][improv_serial:032]: Improv Serial:
[C][audio:139]: Audio:
[D][sensor:127]: ‘raspiaudio-muse-luxe Battery’: Sending state 4.32424 V with 3 decimals of accuracy
[D][media_player:059]: ‘RaspiAudio Muse Luxe’ - Setting
[D][media_player:066]: Media URL: http://icecast.radiofrance.fr/fip-hifi.aac
Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic’ed (InstrFetchProhibited). Exception was unhandled.

Core 1 register dump:
PC : 0x00000000 PS : 0x00060f30 A0 : 0x800f5d50 A1 : 0x3ffb2170
A2 : 0x3ffd3980 A3 : 0x3ffc3b9c A4 : 0x3ffb21b0 A5 : 0x00000001
A6 : 0x00000000 A7 : 0x006e776f A8 : 0x800f314a A9 : 0x3ffb20b0
A10 : 0x3ffd680c A11 : 0x3f407554 A12 : 0x000000a0 A13 : 0x00000000
A14 : 0x46494441 A15 : 0x00000000 SAR : 0x00000004 EXCCAUSE: 0x00000014
EXCVADDR: 0x00000000 LBEG : 0x4008a5f9 LEND : 0x4008a609 LCOUNT : 0xfffffffe

Backtrace:0xfffffffd:0x3ffb21700x400f5d4d:0x3ffb2470 0x400f5e5f:0x3ffb24b0 0x400f9402:0x3ffb24d0 0x400f94f7:0x3ffb2750 0x400dab1e:0x3ffb2770 0x4019f0dd:0x3ffb2790 0x4019f19d:0x3ffb27b0 0x400e36cc:0x3ffb27d0 0x400e5b12:0x3ffb2800 0x40104dc1:0x3ffb2820

ELF file SHA256: 0000000000000000

Rebooting…
ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff0030,len:1184
load:0x40078000,len:13132
load:0x40080400,len:3036
entry 0x400805e4
[I][logger:258]: Log initialized
[C][ota:469]: There have been 6 suspected unsuccessful boot attempts.
[D][esp32.preferences:113]: Saving 1 preferences to flash…
[D][esp32.preferences:142]: Saving 1 preferences to flash: 0 cached, 1 written, 0 failed
[I][app:029]: Running through setup()…
[I][i2c.arduino:175]: Performing I2C bus recovery
[D][binary_sensor:034]: ‘RaspiAudio Muse Luxe Volume Up’: Sending initial state OFF
[D][binary_sensor:034]: ‘RaspiAudio Muse Luxe Volume Down’: Sending initial state OFF
[D][binary_sensor:034]: ‘RaspiAudio Muse Luxe Play Button’: Sending initial state OFF

Can confirm that this horrible noise is happening playing / trying to stream AAC streams, yes.

Same over here. Horrible → my wife won’t let me use ‘the thing’ again.

Hi Northalpha,
May I ask why you don’t use the Squeezelite firmware + the Slim device integration in Home Assistant? it seems more stable to me.

Hello, I am getting exactly the same issue as soon as the battery is getting low.

@Raspiaudio: Can you help me/us somehow?

Since this issue doesn’t look solvable, I am tending to send the device back.
If I don’t find a solution within the next week, the device will go back.

Many thanks to all contributions !!

BTW: Within a few days only we already woke up three times. First we did not understand what’s causing the issue ?!?

same problem for me with the media-player yaml

I buyed 5x muse luxe, i hope i will not need to return them :x
(crosspost : Muse Luxe voice assistant now possible? - #8 by dapsaille)

With the upcoming HA voice assistant update, i have no doubt that the muse luxe will become a must have ^^, i hope it will handle that role.

Sorry, I have sent the device back now since there was no solution in time. Many thanks to all who helped!! regards, red

Sorry to read that you sent your Muse back, this is a known bug in the media player in HA, this is a work in progress and the HA is working hard to stabilize it all. We just have to be patient.

Will also return my two ESP Muse Luxe. I’ve been having the same issue on both for the past month. Unbelievable how you sell a product like this!!!

Any developments on this?

I got my ESP Muse Luxe last week, and I was very excited being able to use it out of the box in my Home Assistant instance.

Unfortunately my excitement didn’t last long :frowning:

The first firmware I tried was ESPHome one. It installed just fine and worked, but with really annoying issues:

• At the start of sound it would emit really annoying static popping sound.
  • It was crashing all the time, and most of the time notifications from Home Assistant wouldn’t go through, and I had to manually restart it.

Then I tried Squeezelite firmware hoping to have better luck with SlimProto integration, but it is even worse: popping sound is here as well (telling me this issue is hardware related) while notifications don’t work at all. I only managed to start Radio station once after re-trying many many times.

I sort of knew what I was going into, so I will not return this product (I’ll try to rip ESP32 board from it and use it elsewhere), but it would be great if you really warned people that this is testing board, not fully developed, just to avoid ruining your brand and having units returned. I surely won’t purchase anything that comes from Raspiaudio.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the ESP Muse Luxe. I understand your frustration, but I’d like to assure you that the Luxe is more than just a development board. It serves as a reliable daily device for many, functioning as a radio or voice assistant.

It’s important to note that support requests typically come from a small fraction of users encountering issues, which doesn’t necessarily reflect the overall user experience. Many enjoy the Luxe without needing to contact support.

Configuring the device with Home Assistant can be challenging, but thanks to valuable contributions from our user community, each update brings improvements. I recommend watching this tutorial: Home Assistant Integration Guide. It’s what I personally use, without any family complains reports of crashing or sound issues

1 Like

Yes, you are right, it is quite possible I am a minority, or maybe I might even have faulty unit. I wish you the best in your future projects.

Just sharing my experience/satisfaction:
I’ve been using 3 proto boards, always on, always on constant power supply.
Always via music assistant (home assistant).
Only thing I cannot figure out is TTS but I don’t really need it, just would be an interesting challenge getting it to work.

I also hear some faint buzzing on the speaker, but only when volume is below 5% and still playing radio/content.

Otherwise I’m waiting for the new batch to be available so I can order 2 or 3 more (I’m on the verge between the Mn cast and another proto…).

Best!

P.S. @Raspiaudio, you’ve got a great product for tinkers and normal users, but I strongly suggest to go for this if you don’t want to drop a fortune on some Sonos or another high end sound equipment.

Thanks for sharing! A new batch of Proto will be available at the end of this week in the USA and Europe with a few improvements: an I2C Battery Management System (BMS) for gauge reading and setting the charge current, as well as slightly better Wi-Fi performance. I will make a separate post about the new BMS soon and how to use it.

Got my order including the Mn Cast and I like it already.
First try didn’t take for me…no clue what actually went wrong but it was not playing anything and nothing was shown on the screen.

I got a big Q coming up @Raspiaudio:
Is the optical connector only output?
Can Music Assistant control which output it sends out through?
How about if there is an SD card, how can we choose which input it uses?

Thanks,
iGor

Hello and welcome,

Thanks for your message.

The optical out on Mn Cast is an output only. To my knowledge it could only be supported in Squeezelite.

The SD card to m knowledge is not supported in Squeezelite nor Home Assistant. But we provide an Arduino example on how to use it in our simple bluetooth app (see link at apps.raspiaudio.com).

Thanks

Thanks for the link.
For the implementation I have in mind, I want the proto board to instantly play an MP3 file as soon as it is powered on.
I will try to make it work in a closed circuit setting.
If I don’t succeed, I will ask you for help or go for another speaker in HomeAssistant to be triggered once the fireplace is powered on, play a certain MP3 on that speaker :frowning:

This is for a fake fireplace where I would like it to play crackling fireplace sounds :slight_smile:

yes the simpler is a dedicated apps, feel free to add a new topic for this if you need help