ESP Muse proto: no audio [under investigation]

Yes I did, it’s correct.

I’m not aware it needs set-up. Viewing others on Youtube they do not configure TTS, that makes things confusing

I see now that it requires set-up in HA configuration.yaml. I had only set the first line there, so added your config to it. Will test it later

Thanks for your efforts in helping me

Regards
OWK

Hello, sorry for the late reply, most of the team is in annual leave and will be back at 100% 7th of September.

But for the blue led you cannot disable it by software, I recommand a low-tec solution by adding a piece of electricl tape on top or use a permanent black marker to paint it.

For my TTS I did do anything for the confirguration. A simple idea, could you try to move your Proto closer to your wifi router and try again?
if that does not work, I encourage you to check the HA support channel on Discord, they are very efficient.

The other lines should not be required, indeed, i used found them useful.
I’m just trying to find the differences between your not so good working setup and
the setup i have which somehow works fine.

And until now i do not see any big issue’s /differences.

The only thing i can think of is how Home-assistant is setup. Lets check what we have different there.
How do you have HA running on your system?

I use a RPI 4b with 2MB to run latest HAOS 64bit version with all the updates that popped up,
and i use the build-in media player to test the TTS functionality.

side note: i have also installed Media-assistant via hacs ( experimental features enabled ). But i do not using it, jet.

I’m using HA on RPI4 with 64bit version just like you, and also try on a linux VM.

Could you add item to your revision todo list; add bigger resistor to the charging let so it is not that bright.
thanks

and both works, i assume?

the TTS worked on both VM and RPI for the Luxe. But for the Proto I had sometime no sound at all when using the HA installer but working fine with the Squeezlelite method. After that colnclusion I sent a Proto board to my contacts at HA for investigation. Let me check if HA had the time to try it.

Tested the adjusted configuration.yaml. No improvement so far, no TTS playing via the muse proto.

The funny thing is that TTS plays ok in the browser, as btw did playing mp3/wav from the local storage on the HA server (that does not play on the muse proto). I will publish my conclusions in the HA forum

This is my setup: Intel nuc i3, Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS, HA release 2022.8.6 in containers (as unsupported). I don’t use HA cloud.

Do you use of HA cloud?

@Raspiaudio: Enjoy your leave for the part that’s left.

Regards,
OWK

nope, i do not use any cloud service.

For long HA cloud was needed to get TTS working. Not anymore then.
I’ll keep searching for a solution

Do you have anything else that could work as a media-player, like a chromecast device?
That was for me the first device to play with TTS before.

Hi Niels
Tested Chromecast. It plays mp3 from a dlna server(nas), but does not play TTS and does not play a mp3 from the HA local file storage.

In the HA log I see: * Failed to cast media http://192.168.178.21:8123/api/tts_proxy/b097de000afc78f54027410d88e4532ac7a0efb0_en_-_google_translate.mp3 from internal_url (http://192.168.178.21:8123). Please make sure the URL is: Reachable from the cast device and either a publicly resolvable hostname or an IP address

Regards
OWK

To conclude the various tests check this table:

The test was performed with Google TTS, mp3 and wav files from 3 sources to 3 destinations. V indicates successful, X marks failure.

BTW: surprise, the blue LED is now spontaneously not flashing anymore, but constant on.

Regards
OWK

yes, the same here :wink:

this means it is not your muse proto, but more of an Home-assistant issue. Better to ask on there community forum of they can help identify the issue and help you fix it.

Mho: my setup is containerized and I suspect there is no communication possible between the IP’s in use by the container and my regular network. But how to solve this is out of my league :wink:

I want to use the HA local file storage because the NAS goes to power save. It takes up to 30 sec’s to start. That is too long for playing a doorbell sound that is required instantaneous play.

So from here I continue on the HA forum; thats why I created the table to have a nice starting point :wink:

Thanks for the continuous support.

Regards,
OWK

Hi @OWK have you found a solution ?

It’s a status quo.

I can play a mp3 using an automation and that was my minimum requirement.
Playing audio to the muse proto from for instance the HA file store is not possible and maybe due to my containerized setup.

Would love to have TTS but it’s not working

So my table in previous post should have an additional row reading:

Automation -> n/a -> V -> not tested

Regards
OWK

what does this mean? what do i need to look for where?

edit: I went to the esphome iteration of the webinstaller at Web - ESPHome that had an option.
whew! so many different webinstallers and yaml files to compare and the currently working solution changes within days, it seems like…