This is a quick tutorial to burn a precomplied bin file of SqueezeLite on the ESPMUSE LUXE SPEAKER to do multiroom audio and more. This tutorial below is updated with the latest files version and tries to summarize this long thread below.
Updated 09/05/22: Method 1 (preferred)
there is a new very easy way to install Squeezlite in to the Muse (Luxe or Proto)
from a Chrome browser without the need to install anything
UPDATE 26/10/2022 : prefer this link as you will have and up to date version of Squeezelite
Edit: Once you have downloaded the Raspiaudio cooked firmware of Squeezelite above you will be able to do an OTA update using the web interface by choosing the Luxe firmware. This is thanks to the integration of the Luxe by Philippe44 in the main branch of his project
What can you do with it?
Multiroom is great at home when you want to have the same music synchronized in you living room, kitchen, bathroom without the need of moving a bluetooth speaker and a phone with you, or worst having a very loud distorted music in one room hoping to hear in every room.
Squeezelite-esp32 is an audio software suite made to run on espressif’s ESP32 wifi (b/g/n) and bluetooth chipset. It offers the following capabilities
- Stream your local music and connect to all major on-line music providers (Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Qobuz) using Logitech Media Server - a.k.a LMS and enjoy multi-room audio synchronization. LMS can be extended by numerous plugins and can be controlled using a Web browser or dedicated applications (iPhone, Android). It can also send audio to UPnP, Sonos, ChromeCast and AirPlay speakers/devices.*
- Stream from a Bluetooth device (iPhone, Android)*
- Stream from an AirPlay controller (iPhone, iTunes …) and enjoy synchronization multiroom as well (although it’s AirPlay 1 only)*
To really have fun
To enable Airplay and Logitech Media Server you need to set the wifi connection. By default when no credential is setup an access point is created called “squeezelite”, connect to it password is “squeezelite”. Using a browser go to 192.168.4.1 then in the wifi section find you network and enter your wifi password. reboot.
Logitech Media Server
Allows you to stream content thru a local server, and many cool stuff lik sync several devices for multi rooms audio.
Install the server on your PC, then your squeezelite device(s) should be found if on the same network, and could be sync :
Out of the box
- For now you can’t upgrade using the web interface
The buttons are not very resposive to change the volume you have to push and release quickly
- It seems that if the Luxe is left OFF for a long time and not connected to USB (>12h not confirmed) the device deos not start anymore unless put to charge. under investigation.
- Need to qualify the real autonomy of a full charged battery.
How to compile the code ?
Our forked GIT version of squeezelite is here what we do in this fork is to add the audio codec that is used in the LUXE. In the future the goal is to ask to the orginal creator of the main branch of squeezligth to merge with our version so we will be able to follow updates easily. All credits for that project goes to the original creators Sle118 and Philippe44.