This is a quick tutorial to burn a precomplied bin file of SqueezeLite on the ESPMUSE LUXE SPEAKER to do multiroom audio and more.
What can you do with it?
Multiroom is great at home when you want to have the same music synchronized in you living room, kitchen, bathroom without the need of moving a bluetooth speaker and a phone with you, or worst having a very loud distorted music in one room hoping to hear in every room.
Squeezelite-esp32 is an audio software suite made to run on espressif’s ESP32 wifi (b/g/n) and bluetooth chipset. It offers the following capabilities
- Stream your local music and connect to all major on-line music providers (Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Qobuz) using Logitech Media Server - a.k.a LMS and enjoy multi-room audio synchronization. LMS can be extended by numerous plugins and can be controlled using a Web browser or dedicated applications (iPhone, Android). It can also send audio to UPnP, Sonos, ChromeCast and AirPlay speakers/devices.*
- Stream from a Bluetooth device (iPhone, Android)*
- Stream from an AirPlay controller (iPhone, iTunes …) and enjoy synchronization multiroom as well (although it’s AirPlay 1 only)*
How to load Squeezelite on the MUSE SPEAKER?
The cable coming with the LUXE is for charge only, use a micro USB data cable instead
-With Linux or ESPTOOLS use the following command :
esptool.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash 0x0 my_image_to_burn.bin
-With Microsoft Windows, It must be loaded using the ESP32 flash downloading tool :
Unzip it and execute
Choose Developer Mode / ESP32 :
Select the path of the previously downloaded .bin file and set the loading address to “0x0” :
Connect the RASPIAUDIO MUSE via USB at the bottom select the right com port used by the connected board:
This com port number could change so if you are not sure of the com port go in windows 10 go to Device Manager and in the port section look for the number used by Silicon Lab…
Check that the switch is ON position on the back of the speaker
Click on START, it should now take 3mn to load:
Then reboot your MUSE turn it of for 5s and turn it on again, and Squeezlite should start, connect to your new audio bluetooth device on a phone or computer you should have a new device called “ESP-32-*****”, connect to it and play.
To really have fun
To enable Airplay and Logitech Media Server you need to set the wifi connection. By default when no credential is setup an access point is created called “muse”, connect to it password is “musemuse”. Using a browser go to 192.168.4.1 then in the wifi section find you network and enter your wifi password. reboot.
Logitech Media Server
Allows you to stream content thru a local server, and many cool stuff lik sync several devices for multi rooms audio.
Install the server on your PC, then your squeezelite device(s) should be found if on the same network, and could be sync :
Out of the box
- For now you can’t upgrade using the web interface
- The buttons are not very resposive to change the volume you have to push and release quickly
How to compile the code ?
Our forked GIT version of squeezelite is here what we do in this fork is to add the audio codec that is used in the LUXE. In the future the goal is to ask to the orginal creator of the main branch of squeezligth to merge with our version so we will be able to follow updates easily. All credits for that project goes to the original creators Sle118 and Philippe44.